See, I can't even say the real word - old - in the title, so how can I ever come terms with the actual process. Hey, I am not really that old. I really am just age challenged. How can I tell that this is true? Because I actually had to search on how and what a blog is. Most of the kids in the world see blogs as part of their world. But in my world not so much. Most of the kids on the internet have never known the world without the internet.
Now that VCR's are going away there will be some who can not relate to the following story but not so long ago the following was true in most households with parents over 35. Walk into any living room where there was an over 35 person who owned a vcr (because there were lots who did not own one) and low and behold there was a flashing light. The great flashing light on the VCR was the clock that was constantly flashing because the owners could not figure out how to get it to stop. It would bug me to no end that this would happen to my parents. Whenever I visited their house I would immediately walk over to the VCR, go through the menu and set the time. Time it took to set = 60 seconds. Why was it that my parents could not figure it out? Why was it when I visited another older friend that he had placed tape over the flashing time clock? I would go through the directions with them, show them, write it down for them yet still I would come over and there it would be flashing.
It turned out that it really was a generational thing. Trying to understand an electronic menu was an abstract idea that had no history for them. This simple task was so outside of their experience growing up that they had never developed the neural pathways that made this action second nature to my generation.
Well the internet is now the VCR clock for my generation. And I am refusing to put tape over the flashing clock and pretend it is not flashing. I am going to make those neural pathways surge and connect whether they like it or not. And this blog is my first step. So come along for the ride -that is assuming I have started down the right path. After all this really could be just a flashing VCR clock and I am too old to see it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment